At Harris Junior Academy Carshalton, we teach maths through the new national curriculum which is broken down into the following strands:
- Number - number and place value
- Number - addition and subtraction
- Number - multiplication and division
- Number - fractions (including decimals and percentages)
- Geometry - properties of shapes
- Geometry - position and direction
- Ratio and proportion
In maths, we challenge children to think for themselves through investigations. We also allow children to apply their skills in different contexts, in order to help them become numerate in all areas.
To ensure children have a good grasp of number we use maths passports. Children learn and practice key number skills which are tested regularly. Certificates are awarded when a continent is completed.